Thursday, July 2, 2020
26A – Celebrating Failure
In March, UF has announced to remove classes online. Since I am an international student, I really want to go back to my country. I bought five flight tickets and four of them were cancelled. Although it was not my fault and no one can predict the future, I think the main reason for the failure is I can not make desicison quickly. Once we get the online classes announcement, I were not sure whether I should go back home or just stay untile the semester end. I was afraid my VPN can not work well so I can not take my three exams successfully. However, at the end of March, I think it is hard for me to stay at Gainesville and I really wanted to go back home. So I started to buy tickets but most of them are bought by other students (There were many Chinese students in the U.S. and many people wanted go back home quickly). So I can only buy the ticket which stop at Taiwan. After three days, the governemnt in Taiwan refused all of transfer flights so my first ticket was canceled. I also tried Korean and Japenese but all of tickets were also canceld. So I justed waited until May. The fourth ticket was from New York to Shanghai but Chinese government released a very complicated rule and there are only four flight are avaiable for a week. So my ticket was canceled again. I was really desperate at that time. The final ticket did not canceled because I paid a lot (noramlly $500 for round trip but this time I paid $3000 for one way). I really ""studied" for the new rule made by Chinese government and checked the ticket online everyday and finally I can go home. I think the failure is I spend nearly one more month in Gainesville and cost much more money to buy a ticket. I was really depressed during whole month. If I can make decision quickly, I can avoid these new rules and I can go home much eariler and spend less time. I hope in the future I can be more determined.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
1. If I really start the delivery service business, I really hope it can bring large profit in next 5 years. If the future generation really...
-
I read Coco Chanel by Lisa for this assignment. What surprised me most was Chanel's family background. I always think she must be bo...
-
In March, UF has announced to remove classes online. Since I am an international student, I really want to go back to my country. I bought f...
Hello Yile,
ReplyDeleteThe situation you had was terrible and being an international student at this time is tough. I have many friends who stayed at their apartments in Gainesville instead of travelling back to family abroad. The fact that you had to a pay a lot more money for your flight ticket is also terrible and I hope they can also add new laws/rules for people to go back to their home countries. On the bright side, atleast you learned to challenge your initial ideas and hope to become a better risk taker in the future. Great post!