Economic
opportunity #1
Opportunity:
I notice that the souvenir at Disneyland are expensive. Although people really
want to buy the souvenir, they are “refused because of the price”. The unmet need is they have a thought to keep
the memory in deep heart. So some online shopping website, like Amazon, or
Outlets can provide cheaper toys for people who have this unmet needs.
2.
a.
I
know it from my personal experience. When I came to Disney, and I found the
price of toys were at least three times than usual.
b.
I believe that some people are rational and they will never waste money on a souvenir. The reason that they did not buy it because of the price. So other forms of the retail store take this opportunity to attract more customers.
C.
I
think the children and couples in a relationship are more likely to have this
unmet need.
d.
I
think it is easy to exploit, because we can always see a child crying in front
of the store because his mother refuses to buy him a toy.
3.
I
have this belief because I also experienced it before. I am easily moved by the
atmosphere, especially I am at Disneyland. Some people may see Disneyland as a
common amusement park, but I think Disneyland is especially romantic. I think
many people also have the same feeling as me. We want to buy something to keep a
great memory, but we do not want to spend too much money on just a toy. Every
time I go to Outlets and find Disney story here, I can not wait to buy a toy,
and I even believe I “make profits”.
Economic
opportunity #2
Opportunity:
People
are more likely to buy luxuries to express their wealth. The more expensive it
is, the more people want to buy.
2.
a.
I know it from a textbook I learned in high school. It said that people use
luxuries to differentiate themselves from other people. We normally say “low
price lead to high demand” in macroeconomics, but the luxuries are different.
b.
I always see there are more customers at higher price luxury stores. People are
less likely to buy cheaper luxuries if they really want to express their
wealth.
c.
The people who are really wealthy,
d. I think it is also relatively to exploit. I find this from my experience. It seems like the “function” of the luxuries are proportional to the price.
3.
I
had a strong feeling about the luxuries. I did not mean I bought it before, but
my classmates in high school were crazy about luxuries. They always show off
their $1000 shoes and nearly $2000 should bags. I feel like luxuries are a type
of identification for them.
Regulatory
opportunity #1
Opportunity:
Because of COVID, China requires all citizens to stay at home completely for
almost one month. No one can go outside of the neighborhood. So people can not
go to the grocery store. Some companies, like freshhema, provide fresh food to
people and the deliverers are tested COVID before he can deliver food.
Suddenly, these companies got high profits because they are the only food
resource for people.
2.
a.
Although I am not physically in China, I read news and heard from some of my friends.
b.
Because people can not go outside, and people can not live without food. So the
company which provides delivery service offers great opportunity,
c.
Every citizen in China can be a customer.
d.
It is not hard to exploit since I think the food problem is always obvious.
3.
I
think the Corona pandemic
situation is not what we expected before, and people in China seldomly use
delivery food service. But in this totally new situation, it is the only choice
that people can get food. The strict stay-at-home rule is hard for people to
implement and follow, but the delivery food service really helps a lot.
Regulatory
opportunity #2
Opportunity:
There is a kind of vocation is to help people buy stuff internationally in a
professional manner. Because many kinds of stuff, like luxuries, makeup, shoes
in some international brands are really expensive in China. The tariff is
really high, so people do not want to buy luxuries in China, and they want
someone to help them to buy from other countries. Gradually, it creates a new
vocation.
2.
a.
Almost all of my friends, classmates, and family members asked people for help.
It is a very common phenomenon in China in recent years.
b.
I believe this opportunity exists for three reasons: Firstly, the economic
condition in China is getting greater. People have more money to buy what they
want. Many people are not satisfied with local brands but want more
international brands. Secondly, it is much cheaper to buy luxuries in some
European countries or Japan, Korea, etc. Thirdly, some people find this
opportunity to actually can make a lot of profits. Demand and supply are both
high.
c.
For people who can afford and also want to have a high quality of life.
d.
I believe this opportunity is not very easy to exploit, because many people
think it is not very profitable and will not take action. It is hard for some
people because customers should build trust with the “professional buyer”. But
it is hard to build trust at first.
3.
I really think it is a great opportunity because the demand is really high. As
long as people get rich, they will not be satisfied with the current situation.
Hi Yile! I think your opportunity belief in economic and regulatory trends is very interesting. I have also noticed that souvenirs at Disney World are very expensive, especially when the quality of that you’re buying is not very good to begin with. I think there is definitely an opportunity in economic and regulatory trends with other consumer products but not necessarily with souvenirs from Disney World. It is possible that the opportunity would be more successful in China than in the United States due to different cultures and consumer habits. Great post, you included a lot of good information.
ReplyDeleteHello Yile,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your perspective on various economic opportunities available to us. The point you made about Disney is very accurate and that they overcharge their toys just because people are willing to buy them as cherished memories. It is much more cost-effective to buy those toys elsewhere due to the massive cut in price. The point you made about expensive clothes is also important as many companies can manage to sell products at a ridiculous price, just because their customers believe that their products are more luxurious. Great post!
Hi Yile,
ReplyDeleteAgain, I really enjoy reading your posts and think you choose really interesting opportunities to pursue. I really connected when you discussed about materialistic things and how people buy it just to show their wealth (Opportunity #2). I think this is a major issue and so many people buy things just because of the name brand. I think you adressed it really well and think its a great opportunity to discuss for the future. Great job with every single opportunity, you truly never disappoint!
Hi Yile,
ReplyDeleteI have been following the lawsuit you wrote about in opportunity one because I feel that many students, myself included, missed out on a lot of things we paid for through tuition and fees our spring semester. In opportunity four, less children getting vaccines in Florida was a surprising result of the COVID-19 pandemic I had nor considered.