Sunday, June 21, 2020

20A – Growing Your Social Capital

 

1. Teng Ma, one of the employee in Hemafresh (an online grocery delivery company, popular in China now). Although he is just an employee in this company, he is one of my father's friends so I can come to talk to him easily. I just simply called him and discuss it with my new business idea. After hearing my idea, he says it is actually hard to start a new delivery business now. Hemafresh is now the biggest and successful company in China now and people already formed the habit in Hemafresh so they may not want to try something else. It is like a person used to buy apples he may not turn to buy Android. If I really want to start this business, I should give people an opportunity to try my products. For example, providing offline tasting seafood activities can be a great solution. In this way, people can know my business always provide fresh raw groceries. Advertising is always important for a new business. I think he gave me a framework of the current grocery delivery market situation and provided me with a great solution.

 

2. Jianjun Wang, a leader in a product delivery group in my neighborhood. Since it is very very common for people to buy online, not only groceries but also commodities, clothes, furniture, etc, the delivery market is prosperous these days. He said if I want to start a new business, it is important to cooperate with a delivery company to make sure the delivery speed and protection of the products. Most of the delivery companies are focus on commodities but groceries tend to use their own delivery person. I think the online delivery service should make sure the delivery quality so the suggestion is fair.

 

3. I came to the offline grocery store that nearby my neighborhood. Many people still buy groceries in offline store but most of them are retired so they have time. I came in the afternoon so the store is not that busy. The store manager told me that they can be suppliers to Hemafresh or other smaller delivery companies. The major problem they usually met is about seafood. Normal stores can help people to cut and wash fish, however, the fish will not be fresh any more if it sends to home. Some people like live fish but it is hard for the delivery person to send a whole live fish home.  Other vegetables or meat can keep fresh for a longer time. After hearing her concern, I realize if I want to start the new business, seafood can be my strong selling point since some companies have not figured it out.

 

Reflection:

I think this assignment provides me with a great opportunity to interview people and I realize the market is already here but there are still some concerns that can not be fixed. It is important to do advertising when starting a new business to attract more people and seafood can be my selling point. 


1 comment:

  1. Hello Yile,
    It looks like you gathered a lot of useful information after conducting your interviews. The points that your interviewees made are very good and might be helpful in the growth of your business. I also liked the fact that you physically went to a nearby store to get more information about your local market. This is definitely a great starting point to making yourself more known among your neighboring areas. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

22A – Elevator Pitch No. 3